Essay on Sickle-Cell Anemia: A Life-Threatening Disease

1291 Words 6 Pages
“About one in 12 African Americans, a much larger proportion than in most populations, is heterozygous for Sickle-Cell Anemia” (Biggs 323). This is an extraordinarily large number of African Americans. Especially considering the fact that Sickle-Cell Anemia is a co dominant disorder (Biggs 324). People who have come from or live in the countries surrounding the Mediterranean Sea can have the disease as well. This disease affects a huge population that is increasing everyday. That is why it is important to know how Sickle-Cell Anemia is genetically inherited, what its symptoms are, and how it can be treated. Sickle-Cell Anemia, a co dominant disease, causes ones body to generate an inadequate amount of red blood cells, but it can be …show more content…
If two people who were both carriers for the disease had kids there kid would have a 25% chance of having Sickle-Cell Anemia, a 50% chance of being a carrier for it, and a 25% chance of not having it at all. The signs of Sickle-Cell Anemia generally start appearing twelve or more weeks after an infant is born (Bryant). When a baby is born the nurse takes a blood sample which tells whether one has Sickle-Cell Anemia or not. The parents can choose to have their baby tested before birth by drawing blood from the umbilical cord (Bryant). Early evidence of Sickle-Cell Anemia begins to altar the conditions of the affected ones life. One who has the disease can only do minimal physical activity and must take antibiotics daily. Because of the sickle cell’s long and rigid shape they cannot travel quickly through the blood vessels. The slow movement of the sickle cells causes oxygen flow to be lower then normal which inhibits those with Sickle-Cell Anemia from participating in physically demanding activities. Some symptoms of Sickle-Cell Anemia include: fever, swelling in the hands and feet, and nausea or vomiting (Bryant). One of the most prominent problems sickle cell causes is anemia. “Anemia is a condition in which the body has too few red blood cells. It makes people tired or weak" according to Patient information: Sickle cell anemia (Bryant). This is because

Related Documents

Wildlife2018104 min +31 | Kaaval (2015) DVDRip Full Hindi Dubbed Movie Watch Online Watch Kaaval (2015) DVDRip Full Hindi Dubbed Movie & Download Free. Hindi Dubbed Movie Kaaval (2015) DVDRip Full Cast and Crew Details. Film Name :- Kaaval (2015) DVDRip Film Directed By :- V.R. Nagendran Film Written by -- V.R. Nagendran Starring of the Film :- Vimal, Samuthirakani, ‘Punnagai Poo’ Geetha Genres -: Thriller Origin Country -- India Film Language -- Hindi Dubbed   Option -1 NetuTV Player 1 Option -2 WatchVideo Player 2 Option -3 Openload Player 3 Option -4 VideoMega Player ... | Organized Kindle MOBI Library 13 000 Books Part 2 of 2 K-Z